Alright.. one side done.. Im going to wait over night before I rotate the rocket and do the other side.
Adding the rest of the decals.. im about 1.5 houirs in to the decals at this point
First round of decals. the ones you see on the rocket came in the Scale Models kit.
The painted fillets.. just wait.. with the rest of the decals it will look better!
Because the Phoenix has such large fillets I decded to airbrush them,, this is the pattern for the fillets. The yellow line is so i can get the pattern in aprox the same place
Here is the decals I made.. I used Testors decal paper.. not the best but its OK.
Check out the shine.. and then its going to get detailed and clear coated..lol
Just for the fun of it I bought some Plastikote white Lacquer. I dont like lacquers for color coats but I was suprised.. it went on very well and dry.. has a GREAT SHINE! The best deal is it has a longer dry time then most lacquers I have used.. I hate qucik dry lacquers.
The launch lugs look kind of goofy on this rocket.. its a 24" long rocket with lugs for 1/4". Just the same its going to work great..
Titebond II doing its thing..
Here you can see the fillets. Just so you know I sanded the primer off below the fin area before they were attached
Gluing on the lugs. I used a lenght of fiberglass rod to align them
I mounted the shock cord and epoxyed the centering rings in place.
lowers in place
Here the lower set of fins are starting to be installed.
Because this rocket is not TTW I drilled holes in the body tube to aid in bonding the fins.
The motor tube was 8" long. I cut it to 6. Its a 29mm tube. I also installed blind nuts so I can use one of my motor holders
Draw the blade away from the edge, this would mean I am pulling the blade to the right.
I use a razor blade to scrape down any seams
This would be be getting use to my new camara
Make sure you wash any plastic parts before you start sanding. I use Dawn.
Im not going to glass this one. I sanded the body tube and then gave it a shot of pimer. The primer is to get an idea of what I got for a starting finish.
The fins were primed with Kilz. I like this for bare wood parts (no glass).. just as a side note the Kilz does not work well on plastic or other parts, just wood parts.. Its the best I have used on bare wood.
I made a fin marking guide
There were no instructions with the kit. Thats OK.
Using the patterns (right) I cut out the bass wood fins.
This is my Scale Kits Phoenix. I got this kit seocnd hand from Mr. Tim Dixon. Thanks Tim.